St. Giles is a Croydon Local Authority Maintained Community School for pupils aged 4-16 with physical disabilities, complex medical needs, complex speech and language difficulties and associated learning difficulties, moderate(MLD), severe(SLD) and profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD).
There is a Further Education Unit for pupils with PMLD aged 16-19.
The school was opened in 1925 and was originally sited in Thornton Heath. In 1933 the school moved to Featherbed Lane, Addington and in 1977 it moved to its current purpose-built accommodation in Pampisford Road, South Croydon.
St Giles is a single-storey, accessible building, divided into two main sections linked by a ramped corridor. Specialist facilities include:
The school staff includes teachers, teaching assistants, a social care team, nurses and therapists, supported by administration, catering, premises management, technical and cleaning staff.
All school staff are specially trained to become experts in working with pupils with physical disabilities and complex medical needs.
The school is also supported by a number of visiting professionals:
There are thirteen Governors on the Governing Body, which meets every term. They include representatives from staff, parents, the Local Authority and the community. The three committees, Strategy, Achievement and Standards, Resources, also meet every term.